Thursday, August 25

my favorite:

O---K!  lahoma, where the wind comes sweeping 'cross the plains!

Though I really, really like Seven Brides for Seven Brothers too.  I would say the Oklahomas have it, but Mama said SBFSB too.  So, it's a tie. 

Just for my own curiosity, whose is whose this time?

5 comments:

  1. Mine was Seven Brides, because you just can't beat that opening song. It's the song my Rascal is going to sing as he saunters around the Christendom Campus in 2023 (unless it's Frederic's pleading song from Act 1 of "Penzance").

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know... With Howard Keel singing it, the song kind of reminds me of a bovine opera singer. "Bless her beautiful hide" :P (You know - like in Bugs Bunny)

    My favorite from Seven Brides is "I'm just a lonesome Polecat." I love that part!!

    I have to say, though, I much prefer Shirley Jones and Gordon MacRae to Jane Powell and Howard Keel. And, I much perfer the character of Curly to Adam.

    You know when you really examine the moral qualities of the musicals, some of them are kind of shocking. (I mean like the boys kidnapping the girls in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.) I think in that respect, Oklahoma is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, but they meant to kidnap the preacher as well, right, but accidentally forgot him. ;)

    I'm not saying SBfSB is my absolute favorite musical, actually. I think that goes to parts of "The King and I." However, you didn't include that in your poll. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, you're right on both accounts...

    I also forgot The Music Man. :}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine would have been The Music Man...I haven't seen any of the others so I couldn't vote! :)

    ReplyDelete