Friday, August 5

Two Truths Tuesday: Answers!

Two Truths Tuesday

Oh, oh-oh-oh...oh no.  You're both wrong!

1.  Captain America is a great movie!  It is rather violent in places, intense (though not gory) in others, and has a very sad ending.  (As in "but he can't die!!!!" ending.)  Don't worry - he doesn't actually die.  That's why it is sad.  Ok, I'm sure this now makes no sense!  It would make sense if you saw the movie.  But, I wouldn't if you don't like intense, frightening, violent, wartime, or sad movies.

2.  I can't stand Martin Sheen's General Lee!  (Sorry, T.)  I mean, at least Robert Duval is directly descended from Lee, right?  But that doesn't account for me not liking the movie best over all movies.  Well, Jeff Daniels grew two tall, broad, and fat to play Chamberlain.  ;)  And, being a Southerner, myself, I do not like Gods and Generals' portrayal of the South.  It's too...um...extreme (is that the right word?) I mean, the representation of Southern life was really romanticized with accents and fictional stories.  Plus, I don't like Jackson's morals, much preferring the actor as Picket!  "Gentlemen you maybe can think that you are descended from an ape.  There are some of you that would say I am descended from an ape.  But who among you would assert that our commanding general, Robert E. Lee, is descended from an ape?" 

3.  North and South is one of my favorites, too.  I do think Mr. Thornton was right on most things.  for instance, the mill worker who lit his pipe, the difference between a "man" and a "gentleman" (you'll have to refer to the book mostly for that one) [oh, and this is a personal opinion that he was right], charitable gifts as prolonging the strike, having no interest in his employee's personal pastimes, and making large meals for the workers in bulk was his idea to begin with.  Margaret is right on quite a lot too, though.  Such as treating the workers as men and not animals.  Oh- I have to go.

 I hope to continue this conversation further at another time...

5 comments:

  1. Hahaha--I had actually thought that maybe you liked Duvall's Lee better than Sheen's the night after I posted it. It was a really random thought. And yes, many of the old Gettysburg actors hadn't aged well to star in a prequel.

    I was seriously disappointed in the extreme LACK of Hancock's presence in the film. Not only did the actor actually look almost the same after 10 years (I think--I've only seen the movie once), but his character took up a fourth of the book, for heaven's sake, not 15 minutes. ;)-

    I also liked Stephen Lang better as Pickett. That movie had WAY too much Jackson.

    So in my humble opinion, "Gods and Generals" made a better book than a movie. Perhaps that's why they never decided to make "Last Full Measure" into a film? Sorry--Chamberlain would have had seriously cool scenes there. Like when he's accepting the arms of the South? "I salute you. We ALL salute you." Oh yeah. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, no kidding. And his valiant actions when he was mortaly wounded, well practically mortal. It would have been so awesome to be under his command at Petersburg. (Awesome at everywhere, that is.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only movie I've seen is Gettysburg...I'm afraid I can't enter into this conversation! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! But maybe my favorite movie after all...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes...I WAS able to appreciate the joke on your new favorite t-shirt: "Don't Call Me Lawrence!"
    Hahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete