Thursday, April 28

My Good Deed on Good Friday

I finally gave in.  Yes.  It has happened. 

I have seen The Passion of the Christ

I was terrified of all the stories I had heard about the violence and the portrayal of evil.  However, at the end I found myself saying, "That's it?"  I suddenly discovered that it was my faith that carried me through the movie.  Yes, it was very violent and by no means pleasent.  However, it was no worse than I had invisioned in my head.  It was the ultimate sacrifice and no one could suffer more by any other means.  And, to add to the sacrifice, Jesus was completely free from sin and unjustly accused.

The violence was intense, but it was no match for the emotion that only true Christians can feel.  The emotional pain of seeing Jesus struck with one thorn was harder than any terrific violence.  The scourging seemed to drag on, and on, and on, and on...  I winced with every blow.  I could not watch the hammering of the nails.  But, again, it was not the violence, but the emotion that came from the realization of His ultimate sacrifice.  I did not cry or object because I knew the reason and necessity of the Passion.  It was like being there, walking with Mary.

The portrayal of the devil was very creepy, but it was awesome when Jesus crushes the head of the serpent!  I thought the demon-children were quite frightening, but again, you were left off with hope when Christ triumphs in His Death and resurrection.

The only thing I can't understand is the big deal people made about the movie.  I do not think it is good for every person.  It has a purpose and fulfills it, but it is only for those who already know the Truth and want only to strengthen it.

I do not ever want to see it again, except maybe on Good Friday, but I am glad that I did.

2 comments:

  1. I decided a while ago that I would never see it. I don't like violent movies in the first place, and I get really emotional as well (I almost cried watching Tarzan, to give you an example :D). I figured, I already know that Jesus suffered immensely during His Passion. I know that no one could ever suffer as much as He did for us. I don't need to see someone's view on the Passion, particularly a person whose views are not in-line with the Church, and likes to make his movies a bit gory to sell them...
    I commend you for not acting all "high and mighty" about seeing it...I've heard my share of "I'VE seen the Passion...have YOU seen the Passion?" :)
    OK...I've been rambling. Glad you got through it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is very dissapointing that the movie was made by Mel Gibson. However, suprisingly, I thought that everything in the movie was accurate to the Gospels and Revelations. I suppose that is it just proof that God uses many means to create good.

    I do not like violent movies either (the Narnia series is about as far as I go), but strangely enough, the violence did not affect me. I think it is because, as you said, as Catholics, we already comprehend the severity of the Passion.

    Like BLESSED (!) John Paul II said, "It is as it was."

    ReplyDelete