Saturday, April 16

Sick Furball

Last night I thought that I was going to have lost three cats in only four months. 

So, it went like this...  I was playing piano upstairs when mom came in from the garage and screamed for me, "Something is wrong with Benny!"  I ran downstairs to see Benny, legs straight out in front of him, stiff, and shaking on the den floor.  I ran upstairs to get papa and a towel.  I ran back downstairs to find him with his legs curled in and perfectly still. Oh yes, I forgot to say that throughout this, his was wailing as if in pain.  When I picked him up inside the towel he "woke up" so to speak and looked around, confused.

We got him to the vet and they immediately took him back to get his temperature, heart rate, and blood sample.  We all thought he had been poisoned somehow.  They brought him back to us, wide-eyed, scared, and with shaved neck.  :(  He climbed up my sweatshirt and dug his face in my sleeve.The vet came to tell us that every test came back normal.  He had no trace of toxins or any abnormal signs. 

So, my little kitty has been diagnosed with epilepsy.  He had suffered a grand mal seizure.  The vet reminded us that epilepsy is defined as "seizures of unknown causes".  He could have more and worse seizures and have to be put on medication.  He also could never have another seizure again.

Oh well.  I miss the fur on his neck...

No comments:

Post a Comment